The North Yorkshire and York 95 Alive Road Safety Partnership work together with the collective aim of reducing the number of people killed and seriously injured on the County’s roads.
The Road Safety Partnership was formed in 2004, at the same time the 95 Alive campaign was launched. So called because of its aim of saving 95 lives between 2005 and the end of 2010, the campaign officially ended on 31 March 2011 – by which time 126 lives had been saved.
Owing to the success of the campaign in terms of exceeding its targets and the added value of partners working together to reduce road casualties, the partnership was continued beyond the initial project with the aim of continuing to reduce casualties and collisions year-on-year throughout North Yorkshire and the City of York.
The current 95 Alive Partnership vision is:
“To make travelling in York and North Yorkshire safer and act in a way that inspires the trust and confidence necessary to make road users and communities be safe and feel safe.”
The aims of the partnership are to:
- Reduce injury, disability and death caused by road collisions in North Yorkshire;
- Improve the quality of life in North Yorkshire by reducing the economic and social impact of road collisions;
- Meet the road safety objectives set by the DfT by changing attitudes and behaviour;
- Increase the public's awareness of road safety issues in North Yorkshire; and
- Work with parents to develop a co-ordinated road safety approach.
The 95 Alive partnership consists of the following members:
- North Yorkshire County Council
- North Yorkshire Police
- North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue
- City of York
- Harrogate Borough Council
- Scarborough Borough Council
- Highways Agency
- North Yorkshire and York Primary Care Trust
- Yorkshire Ambulance Service
- Yorkshire Air ambulance Service
- Public Health
Safer Roads, Healthier Places Strategy
The recently refreshed York and North Yorkshire Road Safety Strategy: “Safer Roads, Healthier Places” can be seen here.
- 95 Alive road safety partnership – Official website of the 95 Alive Partnership
- @95Alive – Official Twitter account of the 95 Alive Partnership
- Facebook.com/95Alive – Official Facebook page of the 95 Alive Partnership
Road Safety - Highways
BES - East Block
County Hall, Racecourse Lane, Northallerton. DL7 8AH
City of York Council
Sustainable Transport Service
West Offices, Station Rise, York. YO1 6GA