COVID-19

During the restriction of movements as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak all scheduled meetings listed on the North Yorkshire Partnership website will not be taking place or will be carried out virtually. For further information please contact the named contact for the relevant meetings or email nypartnerships@northyorks.gov.uk

*** Links to accessible information and translations into community languages can be found by clicking here ***

Chief Executives Group - North Yorkshire and York - minutes 12 February 2021

Minutes of a meeting of the group held on 12 February 2021 via Microsoft Teams.

Present:  
Richard Flinton North Yorkshire County Council
Justin Ives Hambleton District Council
Leah Swain Community First Yorkshire
Tony Clark Richmondshire District Council
Paul Shevlin Craven District Council
Mike Greene Scarborough Borough Council
Tom Hind North York Moors National Park Authority
Wallace Sampson Harrogate Borough Council
Lisa Winward North Yorkshire Police
Stacey Burlet Ryedale District Council
Ian Floyd (part of meeting) City of York Council
Janet Waggott Selby District Council
Andrew Brodie North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
David Butterworth Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority
In attendance:  
James Farrar York and North Yorkshire LEP
Neil Irving North Yorkshire County Council
Deborah Hugill North Yorkshire County Council (secretariat)
Apologies:  
Amanda Bloor North Yorkshire CCG


1. Minutes of last meeting - 19 November 2020 - and matters arising.

The minutes were agreed as a true record.

It was noted that the proposed item on the Humber Coast and Vale ICS strategic plan and work plan would come to a future meeting.

ACTION: DH
 

2. Covid-19 update

Richard Flinton gave an update on the current Covid situation.

It was agreed that it was important to ensure that the Directors of Public Health are involved in the election planning process.

Lisa Winward updated that extra funding had been announced for Covid enforcement.

There was a discussion about being prepared for the inevitable challenges following from any lifting of lockdown, including ensuring that the National Park Authorities are involved in any planning. The longer-term economic recovery of the area was also a matter of concern.

It was agreed that Neil Irving would organise a session with appropriate attendance to consider a strategic overview of the relevant issues.

ACTION: NI
 

2. Towns Fund - Scarborough's experience

Mike Greene gave a presentation on the Town Deals which have been developed for Scarborough and Whitby to improve their socio-economic standing. He highlighted a number of strategic issues which were identified and detailed the actions taken to progress the submissions. He felt that it was a good model to use in other areas and shared the lessons learnt. These included a strong emphasis on effective and thorough public engagement, the need for good leadership and building capacity and not becoming too focussed on one funding stream.

James Farrar commented that the process had improved the longer-term investment opportunities for the LEP in the two towns and that the publicity and engagement involved had meant that the public had bought into the process.

Richard Flinton also endorsed the process and expressed the hope that the final reports would be well received by Government.

 

4. Devolution

Richard Flinton provided an update to the meeting. The devolution asks have been submitted and engagement with civil servants is expected in March. The group to lead these discussions from North Yorkshire and York has been established and a first meeting date is awaited.

There was a discussion about the need to consider any refinement to the asks in the light of Covid and it was confirmed that specialist advice and experience in relation to negotiating devolution deals was being sought.

It was agreed that maintaining a strong collective economic narrative from the councils involved would be beneficial and that a standing update item from James Farrar should be included on the agenda for the group.

ACTION: DH

 

5. Green industrial strategy

James Farrar presented a report summarising the opportunities within Yok and North Yorkshire in relation to the Government’s ten point plan for a green industrial revolution and activity to develop projects and proposals. The report provided a number of recommendations for actions. The progress of other relevant projects was also detailed.

There was a discussion about a number of other actions which could be added and James undertook to circulate the relevant table round the group for any additions.

ACTION: JF

There was a query about progress with LAD2 bids which James undertook to research and bring back to a future meeting.

ACTION: JF

 

6. York and North Yorkshire LEP's project pipeline

James Farrar presented a report on progress by the YNY LEP to develop a capital investment plan and pipeline of capital projects and LEP core funding. He highlighted that only a very few projects put forward were investment ready. There is work underway to understand what needs to be done in relation to those which are not ready and to ensure that they can progress to business case. The projects are also being packaged under rural, urban and coastal headings and gaps identified. It was acknowledged that investment in developing projects which are not guaranteed to go ahead can be a challenge but that successful areas have projects ready for when funding becomes available.

James is also ensuring that LGNYY are kept informed.

James gave an update on LEP funding which is confirmed for 2021/22. Future funding and activity will be influenced by any agreed devolution deal.

There was a discussion about recruitment for a number of the LEP boards and the challenges involved in achieving diversity in terms of representation on these boards.
 

7. Report of the York, North Yorkshire, East Riding and Hull (YNYERH) Directors of Development Group

James also presented a report on the work of the YNYERH Directors of Development Group, including the forward work programme. It was agreed that the updates coming to the Chief Executives Group should follow the areas of focus of the programme.


8. LGNYY meeting 5 March 2021

A report was received asking for members of the group to identify business for consideration at the next meeting of LGNYY on 5 March 2021. This will be a formal meeting and will be broadcast live.

The following items were suggested:

  • Elections
  • Continuing to hold council meetings via video conferencing – if this is not resolved by the time of the meeting
  • Regional Climate Change Commission


9. Any other business

  • The issue of continuing to be able to hold council and national park authority meetings remotely was discussed and pressure is being brought to bear to try to ensure that this can continue beyond the current cut-off date.
  • Leah Swain informed the meeting that she was leaving Community First Yorkshire and that this would be her last meeting of the group. She is taking up the role of Chief Executive of Sirius Minerals in April. Caroline O’Neill will cover external meeting until a new Chief Executive is in place. Members of the group congratulated Leah on her new role, thanked her for her work and wished her well for the future.
     
  • Tom Hind explained that a review of the National Park Management Plan for the North York Moors was being undertaken which will include speaking to local authorities. He offered to provide a short presentation to the next meeting of the group and this was agreed.

    ACTION: TH/DH

 

10. Date and time of next meeting

Friday 4 June 2021 10am - 12noon via Microsoft Teams.