Following the Covid-19 pandemic some scheduled meetings listed on the North Yorkshire Partnership website may not be taking place or are being carried out virtually. For further information please contact the named contact for the relevant meetings or email nypartnerships@northyorks.gov.uk

Chief Executives Group - North Yorkshire and York - minutes 19 November 2020

 

Minutes of a meeting of the group held on 19 November 2020 via Zoom.

Present:  
Richard Flinton North Yorkshire County Council
Justin Ives Hambleton District Council
Leah Swain Community First Yorkshire
Tony Clark Richmondshire District Council
Paul Shevlin Craven District Council
Mike Greene Scarborough Borough Council
Tom Hind North York Moors National Park Authority
Wallace Sampson Harrogate Borough Council
Mark Pannone North Yorkshire Police (on behalf of Lisa Winward)
Philip Spurr Ryedale District Council (on behalf of Stacey Burlet)
Ian Floyd  City of York Council
Janet Waggott Selby District Council
Andrew Brodie North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
In attendance:  
James Farrar York and North Yorkshire LEP
Neil Irving North Yorkshire County Council
Karl Battersby North Yorkshire County Council
Deborah Hugill North Yorkshire County Council (secretariat)
Apologies:  
Amanda Bloor North Yorkshire CCG
Caroline Lacey East Riding of Yorkshire Council
Lisa Winward North Yorkshire Police
David Butterworth Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority
Stacey Burlet Ryedale District Council


1. Minutes of last meeting - 11 September 2020 - and matters arising.

The minutes were agreed as a true record.

Matters arising:

Covid-19 

Richard Flinton gave an update on how the Local Resilience Forum is managing the outbreak in North Yorkshire, confirming that local MPs are feeling positive about how it is being tackled. Lack of information about tiering arrangements post-lockdown is the most pressing concern currently.

Concern for the economy was expressed, with restrictions still likely at some level for most of 2021.

An informal discussion between the Local Authorities’ Chief Executives will be held once more information about the Government’s plans for continuing restrictions post-lockdown is known.

Ian Floyd told the meeting that City of York Council have submitted an expression of interest for mass testing.

It is likely that there will also be the need to tackle other emergencies such as flooding events over the winter and it was confirmed that the new Corporate Director for Business and Environmental Services, Karl Battersby, will be speaking to all district Chief Executives shortly to ensure that particular concerns and areas of risk are clear.
 

2. LEP update

James Farrar presented a report providing an update on progress against the March 20 delivery plan, together with changes due to the impact of COVID-19.

The Local Growth Fund is in its final year of delivery and the Government have confirmed that despite the impact of COVID-19 there is no opportunity to extend beyond March 2021. James asked that Chief Executives ensure that their teams submit claims as, for Quarter 1 and 2, these are below what was forecast.

The Get Building Fund remains on track for delivery.

The Growth Hub Business Support has exceeded annual targets and is now aiming to achieve the stretch targets. More funding may be forthcoming to support businesses in relation to Brexit.

The Careers and Enterprise Programme is meeting targets and performance is well above the national average. It is expected that data for schools careers advice will show a drop off in performance due to school closures over spring and summer.

Low Carbon and Circular Yorkshire programmes are progressing well.

Grow Yorkshire has been deemed ineligible for ESF funding and has not been a priority this year due to COVID-19. However, the steering group have affirmed their commitment to the initiative and it will be given more prominence in the spring.

All local authority teams are actively engaged in future pipeline development and work is underway to ensure that the county is bid ready for opportunities in relation to the 10 point plan for a Green Industrial Revolution.

A new chair has been appointed to the Local Enterprise Partnership – Helen Simpson – and she will take over in March 2021. Transition arrangements are in place in the meantime.

Wallace Sampson asked for clarification on the procedure for LEP media releases as there had been an instance recently where Harrogate BC had not been made aware of one in advance. James confirmed that it was standard practice for media releases to be sent to councils’ communication teams in advance and that he would look into why this had not happened on this occasion.

Mike Greene made an offer to bring a presentation or paper to a future meeting about the process Scarborough had recently been through in relation to the Government’s Towns Fund. He felt that it had been an effective process and there was experience which could be shared. This will be tabled at a future meeting.

ACTION: DH

It was agreed that there was a need for co-ordination in relation to the 10 point plan for a Green Industrial Revolution to ensure no duplication or confusion. Working together would also ensure that any collective bid would have the full weight of all authorities behind it. It was further agreed that this should be co-ordinated through existing structures, appreciating that some areas are currently not covered.

ACTION: JF

It was agreed that the LEP would collate an analysis under each of the headings to be discussed at the next meeting.

 

3. Devolution

Richard Flinton led a discussion on the current position in relation to a devolution for North Yorkshire and York.

The asks have been, or are being considered, by each Council. Hambleton has not approved the asks, preferring to wait for the White Paper before doing so.

It was agreed that James Farrar would produce a paper for the Local Government North Yorkshire and York meeting on 4 December recommending the submission of the asks, by those Councils which have approved them.

ACTION: JF

It was noted that funding and resource to support the negotiating process would need to be provided as it was extremely important that there was the necessary experience and capacity to ensure the best outcome.

 

4. Report of the YNYERH Directors of Development (DoDs) Group

Karl Battersby introduced himself and was welcomed.

He gave a short summary of the report concentrating on the areas which had not been largely covered under other items on the agenda.

Climate change – an update had been provided to the DoDs group by the Local Authorities Climate Action Co-ordinator including an action plan covering the following main areas:

  • Co-ordinating Local Authority Climate Emergency Action Plans
  • Supporting Local Authority Climate Emergency Governance
  • Co-ordinating the development of Climate Emergency Policy
  • Developing a Pipeline of Local Authority Climate Projects including
    • Procurement
    • Community Engagement
    • Electric Vehicle Charging Points
    • Street lighting Upgrades
    • Asset Management
    • Fleet Management

It is likely that this area of work will be a priority for the DoDs group in future.

A co-ordinated response to the proposed planning reforms was sent and concerns raised.

It was agreed that it would be useful to bring a forward work programme for the DoDs group to the Chief Executives’ Group meeting to forge closer links and allow Chief Executives to influence the work of the group.

This will be brought to the next meeting.

ACTION: KB


5. LGNYY meeting 4 December 2020

It had already been agreed that a paper recommending that the devolution asks be submitted is taken to the meeting.

Other additional items agreed were:

  • LEP update, including key announcements in the comprehensive spending review - ACTION: JF
  • Impact of COVID-19 on voluntary and community sector organisations - ACTION: LS

There was a discussion about how actions from the LGNYY group should best be recorded during the current situation when face to face meetings are not taking place.


6. Any other business

Wallace Sampson suggested the Humber Coast and Vale ICS strategic plan and work plan as a suitable agenda item for a future meeting. Richard Flinton will raise this with Amanda Bloor.

ACTION: RF
 

7. Date and time of next meeting

To be arranged.

ACTION: DH