Chief Executives' Group - North Yorkshire and York - minutes 18 November 2022

Chief Executives’ Group – North Yorkshire and York

18 November 2022 via Teams

Minutes and action points

Present and apologies  
Richard Flinton North Yorkshire County Council
Janet Waggott Selby District Council
Jane Colthup Community First Yorkshire 
Tony Clark Richmondshire District Council
Paul Ellis Craven District Council (on behalf of Paul Shevlin)
Wallace Sampson Harrogate Borough Council 
Lisa Winward North Yorkshire Police
Jonathan Dyson North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue
Nick Edwards Scarborough Borough Council
David Butterworth Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority (also on behalf of Tom Hind, North York Moors National Park Authority)
Mike Greene Scarborough Borough Council
Sarah Davies Office of the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (on behalf of Simon Dennis)
In attendance:  
Claire Lowery North Yorkshire County Council
Liz Philpot York and North Yorkshire LEP
Karl Battersby North Yorkshire County Council
Deborah Hugill North Yorkshire County Council (secretariat)
Stacey Burlet Ryedale District Council
Ian Floyd City of York Council
Justin Ives Hambleton District Council
Tom Hind North York Moors National Park Authority
Paul Shevlin Craven District Council
Amanda Bloor North Yorkshire CCG
Simon Dennis Office of the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner


1. Minutes of last meeting - 16 September 2022 - and matters arising

The minutes were agreed as a true record and there were no matters arising which were not covered on the agenda.


2. North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service - risk and resource model

Jonathan Dyson presented a report detailing the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service’s (NYFRS) risk and resource model which sets out what changes are planned over the next three years to mitigate the risks identified and helps deliver key priorities set out in the Fire and Rescue Plan 2022-2025.

It represents the most comprehensive assessment of risk ever conducted by NYFRS and includes demographic, socio-economic, infrastructure and partner data, as well as incident data.

Jonathan Dyson presented a report detailing the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service’s (NYFRS) risk and resource model which sets out what changes are planned over the next three years to mitigate the risks identified and helps deliver key priorities set out in the Fire and Rescue Plan 2022-2025.

It represents the most comprehensive assessment of risk ever conducted by NYFRS and includes demographic, socio-economic, infrastructure and partner data, as well as incident data.

Seven change proposals were identified and recommended to the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (PFCC) to take forward to consultation. These centred on improving prevention, managing attendance at automatic fire alarms and response resource in Harrogate, Scarborough and the York area. Specialist water rescue resource capability in Craven, emergency response principles and alternative duty systems were also covered. A twelve-week public consultation was undertaken with participation from more than 1400 people.

The risk and resource model was approved by the PFCC and the finalised document will be published in due course.

Nick Edwards asked about response resource south of Scarborough in relation to new housing. Jonathan confirmed that future risk and resource models will continue to review this.

He also agreed to discuss with the PFCC whether she feels that new North Yorkshire Council councillors have been sufficiently engaged. The offer was made for a slot on a future Members’ seminar if this was felt to be useful.



3. Cost of living crisis - impact on North Yorkshire and York - update

Claire Lowery presented a report on work in the county and York in relation to the cost-of-living crisis. This report provided an update on actions following the meeting of the group in September where this was initially discussed.

The report highlighted work on food insecurity and the outcomes of the North Yorkshire Wider Partnership Conference and York Summit discussions. These two events brought together public sector and VCS colleagues to explore how to work together better to support our communities. The report also included information shared with the LGR Housing workstream on housing supply.

The work on the joint CYC/NYCC food security project is developing an evidence base of interventions and building an understanding of provision and issues faced by food access providers. The final research report will be published next year. Information from the project is, however, already being used to improve decision making.

In response to a question, Claire confirmed that work being carried out by district councils was being linked in and that the Localities workstream is involved. The Thriving Communities Partnership group is also driving some of this work.

Jane Colthup suggested a follow up event to the North Yorkshire Partnership conference to focus on actions and said she was happy to work with Claire on this.



4. Moving unitary transition forward

Richard Flinton gave an update on progress on local government reorganisation in the county. The new council’s structure has been published and the top two levels of management posts are due to be in place by Christmas. There are some exceptions as the Corporate Director of Community Development will be open to external competition in the New Year and there may be some Assistant Director posts which will need to be advertised externally too.

Heads of Service posts are being risk assessed and some will not be filled before vesting day in order to avoid unnecessary disruption.

Councils are working well together and a recent event had brought all senior managers together. Assurance meetings are also progressing well.

Jane Colthup asked that information about new postholders be shared as soon as possible so that partners are aware of the appropriate contacts. Richard confirmed that, after the proper HR processes, clarity will be provided as early as possible.

It was also confirmed that the planned process for Heads of Service will be clearly communicated to staff through the webinar on 25 November, amongst other routes.


5. LEP and devolution update

Liz Philpot provided an update on LEP delivery and a briefing on progress with the devolution deal, including:

The development of the Shared Prosperity Prospectus has been carried out and a final decision is awaited from Government. Plans to maximise potential include inward investment, expanded growth hub, Grow Yorkshire and key sectors.

Engagement on the Routemap to Carbon Negative is ongoing with City of York Council and North Yorkshire County Council. Additional resource across Yorkshire and Humber to work with local authorities on the potential of the circular economy is now in place.

The ‘minded to’ devolution deal is in phase 2 consultation stage and about 1000 responses have been received so far. When consultation responses have been considered both NYCC and CYC will need to approve a final scheme to submit to Government. A costed plan will then be developed.

A Joint Committee has also been formed to lead implementation of the deal and will meet for the first time at the end of the month. As the Mayoral Combined Authority will be responsible for the Strategy Transport Plan, a working group has also been formed to work on this. It was confirmed, in response to a question, that this will cover all transport forms. As part of this a draft Electric Vehicle Strategy has been developed and is being consulted upon.

David Butterworth updated the meeting that the Government is asking National Parks to focus on climate and sustainability.

Jane Colthup sought confirmation that transport planning will link with projects to mitigate inequalities in access to transport to attend health appointments. Karl Battersby undertook to feed this into the discussions.



6. Report of the York, North Yorkshire, East Riding and Hull (YNYERH) Directors of Development Group.

Karl Battersby provided an update on the work of the DoDs group, including:

National Food Strategy - Public Health had presented at the group on the National Food Strategy and links were made to local plans.

Climate change action - progress was reported including on the Routemap to Carbon Negative.

ARCADIS - a quarterly construction update from ARCADIS showed significant volatility. It is hoped that this will peak soon and that a more settled picture will emerge next year. The construction market was in relatively good health. This is due to housing at peak levels and an increase in infrastructure development.

Mobile connectivity - challenges by mobile phone companies getting masts into the areas required were identified, including getting power to the masts, the number of customers, access to sites and planning permissions.

Health and Economy – working with public health colleagues is enabling wider input to areas of work which impact on health inequalities.

Investment Zones – these have been paused and submitted bids will not be considered. Instead, the Government will choose areas to work with.

Capital project review – discussed concerns regarding capital projects and the risks regarding inflation and a challenging supply chain.

Updates from various officer groups were also contained within the report.


Karl confirmed, in response to a question, that commitments to levelling up had been made in the Autumn statement but no details had been provided.


7. LGNYY meeting 9 December 2022

Richard Flinton asked Chief Executives to identify any additional items of business for LGNYY’s next meeting.

Lisa Winward suggested that budget positions of public sector organisations should be discussed.


8. Future meetings

Future partnership arrangements were discussed and it was agreed to pull together a working group to develop future arrangements. A first meeting should be scheduled for January. Deb will speak to Neil Irving about arranging this.


A date for the Chief Executives’ Group – North Yorkshire and York will be scheduled for February/March next year. The outcomes of the working group will inform future plans.



9. Any other business

Response to Covid inquiry – this needs to be completed by local authorities separately but it was agreed that responses should be shared for co-ordination purposes. The Emergency Resilience Forum will be consulted and Richard will ensure legal colleagues are aware.


Destination management and tourism – a group is coming together to consider improvements including recommendations from the de Bois review. Richard will ensure that Tom Hind is invited to represent the National Parks.



Date and time of next meeting:

To be arranged.