Chief Executives' Group - North Yorkshire and York - minutes 16 September 2022

Chief Executives’ Group – North Yorkshire and York

16 September 2022 via Teams

Minutes and action points

Present and apologies  
Richard Flinton North Yorkshire County Council
Janet Waggott Selby District Council
Caroline O'Neill Community First Yorkshire (on behalf of Jane Colthup)
Tony Clark Richmondshire District Council
Paul Shevlin Craven District Council 
Rachel Joyce Harrogate Borough Council (on behalf of Wallace Sampson)
Lisa Winward North Yorkshire Police
Tom Hind North York Moors National Park Authority
Stacey Burlet Ryedale District Council
Justin Ives Hambleton District Council
Mike Greene Scarborough Borough Council
Simon Dennis Office of the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner
In attendance:  
Neil Irving North Yorkshire County Council
James Farrar York and North Yorkshire LEP
Karl Battersby North Yorkshire County Council
Deborah Hugill North Yorkshire County Council (secretariat)
David Butterworth Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority
Ian Floyd City of York Council
Jane Colthup Community First Yorkshire
Wallace Sampson Harrogate Borough Council
Jonathan Dyson North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
Amanda Bloor North Yorkshire CCG


1. Minutes of last meeting - 17 June 2022 - and matters arising

The minutes were agreed as a true record and there were no matters arising which were not covered on the agenda.


2. LEP update

James Farrar presented a report giving an update on progress on LEP delivery in 2022/23.

Bids to the Shared Prosperity Fund have now been submitted and implementation planning is underway. The Plan for Growth is still in draft form and will be reviewed against the devolution deal to ensure that it is fit for purpose.

The Routemap to Carbon Negative has been signed off by the LEP Board and engagement on the Routemap is ongoing with both North Yorkshire County Council and City of York Council, as well as districts and National Parks Authorities.

Five workshops were held over the summer period, engaging local stakeholders and business in the priorities. The intention is to work with at least ten communities by the end of the year on circular community activities, which will feed into the community network plans of the new unitary authority.

James highlighted particular delivery progress with the Growth Hub, Grow Yorkshire, inward investment, and the Skills Advisory Panel. £50k has been secured to update the skills evidence base and work with the Chamber of Commerce on local skills improvement plans. The short time frames given for skills bootcamps have meant that targets will not be met, but plans to mitigate this are being put in place.

The Community Renewal Fund programmes are on track to deliver under budget so the surplus has been reallocated to additional outputs.

Mike Greene raised the possibility of inviting the Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities to the county and Richard Flinton agreed to raise this with Councillor Carl Les as Chair of LGNYY.


There was also a discussion about tourism and getting a better collective view. The Economic Development LGR workstream has a tourism sub-group which could bring a report to either the Chief Executives’ Group or the LGR Implementation Board.


Caroline O’Neill suggested that the local skills improvement plans should take account of other workforce plans, for example in the NHS, to ensure linkages and accurate context and was happy to act as a link.

Tom Hind highlighted the National Parks’ involvement in tourism and the Routemap to Carbon Negative and it was agreed that James would make sure that they were kept up to date.



3. Devolution update

James Farrar presented a further, separate report on the devolution process and implementation schedule. The ‘minded to’ deal was published on 1 August and the report summarised its key elements.

The three formal decision points in the governance process were detailed: the governance review, publishing the scheme for consultation and responding to the consultation and submitting to government. North Yorkshire County Council have approved the first two points and they are due to go to the City of York Council’s Executive and Full Council shortly.

The intention is to start the consultation on 17 October and run up until just before Christmas. The Consultation Institute are providing support and advice to ensure compliance with law and best practice.

Work is only being progressed where necessary at this stage to ensure that too much money is not invested at risk.

Simon Dennis confirmed that the Office of the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner will start to commit resources to transition to a Mayoral Combined Authority shortly. TUPE arrangements will also involve operational personnel in Fire and Rescue so engagement on this has begun. Simon and James will catch up to discuss.



4. Cost of living crisis - impact on North Yorkshire and York

Neil Irving presented a report on the potential impact of the cost of living crisis on North Yorkshire and York and activities being undertaken. The impacts on domestic households, business, local authorities and the voluntary and community sector were detailed, as was the current proposed support from government for various sectors. A fiscal statement laying out the government’s plans for a series of interventions to tackle the cost of living crisis and counter the threat of rising energy bills is expected shortly. It was acknowledged that there is an understandably high level of anxiety especially amongst householders and that this is unlikely to be allayed by the statement. The number of schemes and payments confuse people and this could be exacerbated.

The report also gave a summary of current support in the county, including the development of warm spaces, the emphasis being on places already opening for activities.

It was noted that the North Yorkshire Wider Partnership Conference is focussing on the cost of living crisis this year and that a Summit is also planned in York.

Members of the group praised the report whilst expressing concern about the impacts on communities, businesses and organisations.

Caroline O’Neill mentioned Northern Power Grid’s charitable trust. Neil Irving confirmed that he had received information from the trusts.

The effect on homelessness was discussed, particularly in areas of the county which have a heavy reliance on private rented housing. Landlords may move to AirBNB or sell properties which will compound issues. It was agreed that more needs to be done around housing supply. Justin Ives agreed to put a paper together for the housing workstream.


Lisa Winward highlighted that an increase in crime is expected and that holistic solutions need to be put in place, ensuring that all agencies work together. She also suggested that best practice to support the employees of all the organisations represented in the meeting should be shared. It was agreed that this would be done and brought to a future meeting of the group.


It was also noted that post Covid flexible working has meant less requirement for office space but this may change due to home energy costs rising.

There was a discussion about the energy price guarantee and how this will work in rural areas where there is more reliance on oil. The government has suggested that schemes will be in place to support households and businesses in this position but no details have yet been provided.

The following points were also discussed:

  • the role of business in terms of corporate social responsibility
  • the need to understand potential pressure points in relation to community cohesion
  • the equalities section of the report which detailed particular groups likely to be worst affected
  • the need to use data to inform proactive work to tackle issues


It was agreed that Neil would develop proposals for a number of workstreams to tackle the issues raised.



5. Moving unitary transition forward

Richard Flinton updated the group on progress on local government reorganisation (LGR) in North Yorkshire. Richard has been appointed as the new chief executive of the unitary and will be sharing the council structure shortly. The intention is to have Corporate Director and Assistant Director level posts filled by Christmas.

There are numerous risks including general resource level, recruitment and managing inevitable anxiety of staff. The work that all staff across the councils are doing to progress LGR whilst dealing with the day to day requirements of their jobs was praised and it was acknowledged that support must continue to be given to ensure a smooth transition.

Feedback from the Department of Levelling Up, Housing and Communities is that progress is on track. The elements which are essential for vesting day are being prioritised, in particular easy access to services for customers.


6. Report of the York, North Yorkshire, East Riding and Hull (YNYERH) Directors of Development Group.

Karl Battersby presented a report on the work of the Directors of Development (DoDs) Group. He highlighted a number of items which had been discussed by the group:

  • North Yorkshire Local Transport Plan (LTP) – DfT funding has been secured to support the development of a new LTP with a suggested target date of Spring 2024. DoDs were in favour of the development of a wholly new document linking to economic strategy, the combined mayoral authority, new local plan and the Routemap to Carbon Negative.
  • Shared Prosperity Fund (SPF) and Levelling Up Fund (LUF) – bids have been submitted and there has been good partnership working on these.
  • ARCADIS – a representative from ARCADIS provided a presentation on the construction market in North Yorkshire which was a valuable insight. It was agreed that ARCADIS should attend DoDs to provide an update on the construction market quarterly.
  • Climate action – Climate Action strategies for both City of York Council and the new North Yorkshire Council are in development.
  • Resource requirements – a report detailing the amount of funding to be received into North Yorkshire and York as a result of devolution, the SPF and potential LUF was taken to the group. A paper detailing what delivery resources will be needed is being developed.
  • Nutrient neutrality – this is a means of ensuring that development does not add to existing nutrient burdens and complies with the Habitats Regulations. This has an impact on the planning process.
  • LGR workstream updates


7. LGNYY meeting 14 October 2022

Richard Flinton asked Chief Executives to identify any additional items of business for LGNYY’s next meeting. There were none.


8. Any other business

Mike Greene confirmed that this would be his last attendance at the Chief Executives’ Group meeting as he will be taking up the post of Chief Executive at Stockton on Tees Borough Council. He said he had enjoyed working with everyone and thanked them for their collaborative approach. Richard Flinton, on behalf of the group, thanked Mike for his contributions to the group and broader partnership working and wished him well in his new job.


Date and time of next meeting:

Friday 18 November 2022 10am – 12 noon via Teams