Last updated: 7 April 2020
North Yorkshire County Council has developed a range of resources about managing the COVID-19 pandemic in our county. These can be found on the North Yorkshire County Council website
In addition, many organisations across the UK have developed helpful and accessible information about COVID-19, using Easy Read, pictorial and other accessible formats. Information in a number of community languages is also available.
This page has been created to bring together some of the most useful and up to date information in one place. It will be updated regularly as part of North Yorkshire County Council’s response to the pandemic, to support providers and funded services to have the best available information.
Services are encouraged to use and share these resources with people you support to ensure that they have the most up to date information in a format that they understand and which meets their needs.
UK Government information
- UK Government: Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable (includes Easy Read and community language translations): here
- UK Government: Leaflet on what to do to help stop the spread of coronavirus, including information on symptoms and government support (includes Easy Read, community languages and BSL video): here
Public Health England information
- Advice on Staying at Home
- Keeping away from other people: new rules to follow from 23 March
- Guidance on protecting people most likely to get very poorly from coronavirus (shielding).
- Guidance on supporting children and young people's mental health and wellbeing
- Inclusion North has a comprehensive easy read guide about keeping safe from coronavirus. It is updated regularly. For the latest version please visit: http://www.inclusionnorth.org/coronavirus
- The National Autistic Society has information for autistic people and their families here
- Learning Disability England: Keeping informed and in touch during Coronavirus: here
- MENCAP Easy Read Guide: here
- SignHealth – British Sign Language (BSL) translations of Public Health England information: here
- Carers UK: Coronavirus guidance for carers: here
- Resources for parents and carers of children and young people with SEND and children and young people: here
- Friends, Families and Travellers - information for traveller communities including audio version
PhotoSymbols has launched an Easy Read website called www.keepsafe.org.uk. They have also made Easy Read posters on different COVID-19 topics.
- How to stay safe
- Coronavirus and health issues
- What if you get ill?
- Staying at home
- Please don’t spread it
- You must stay at home
Find out more about the current restrictions and the rules you should follow (in English and a number of other languages).
Information about social distancing and keeping yourself safe is included below:
- What you need to do (Arabic)
- What should I do to prevent catching and spreading the virus? (English and Arabic)
- Government guidance on social distancing - a number of community language translations included
A range of key COVID-19 documents translated into many community languages are available at the Migrant Information Hub website.
Changes to the Care Act
- Easy Read guide to Changes to the Care Act: here
NHS and other health information
- Help for people with a learning disability and/or autism to use NHS 111: here
- HealthWatch North Yorkshire have a list of links to Coronavirus advice and updates from a range of organisations, plus information in a variety of formats here
- Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys (TEWV) NHS Foundation Trust has a great list of Easy Read information here
- Useful information from the Down Syndrome Research Foundation on supporting someone with a disability to go to hospital: here
- COVID-19 hospital summary - if people need to go into hospital this sheet can be downloaded and completed and taken in with their hospital passport.
Tips on staying safe and healthy at home
- Down Syndrome Association Easy Read information on exercise, cooking tips and activity videos: here
- Easy read NHS poster on washing your hands: here
- An Easy Read Guide to Anxiety from the Mental Health Foundation: here
- Information on social distancing and staying connected: here
- Watch the Purple All Stars rap on how to correctly wash your hands here