Last updated: 6 January 2021
North Yorkshire County Council has developed a range of resources about managing the COVID-19 pandemic in our county. These can be found on the North Yorkshire County Council website
North Yorkshire County Council have worked with partners to develop a communications pack to support people who may be at more risk of COVID infection. The pack has been created in a number of different formats, including Easy Read and community languages.
In addition, many organisations across the UK have developed helpful and accessible information about COVID-19, using Easy Read, pictorial and other accessible formats. Information in a number of community languages is also available.
This page has been created to bring together some of the most useful and up to date information in one place. It will be updated regularly as part of North Yorkshire County Council’s response to the pandemic, to support providers and funded services to have the best available information and you are recommended to check it on a regular basis.
Services are encouraged to use and share these resources with people you support to ensure that they have the most up to date information in a format that they understand and which meets their needs.
Images courtesy of Photosymbols
Lockdown January - February 2021
On 4 January the UK Government announced a new national lockdown for the whole of England. Details on what you can and can’t do can be found here.
The UK Government information is not currently in easy read. We will provide links to easy read information when available.
This poster called Back in Lockdown provides a summary of the rules: https://www.keepsafe.org.uk/posters/back-in-lockdown
January lockdown: what it means for you - Inclusion North Easy Read
UK Government information
- Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable (includes Easy Read and community language translations): here
- Guidance on protecting people most likely to get very poorly from coronavirus (COVID-19) (shielding) – Easy Read
- Letter to shielded patients - produced 22 June 2020: Easy Read and a number of community languages
- Guidance on supporting children and young people's mental health and wellbeing
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) safer travel guidance – Easy Read
General Information about Covid-19
- National restrictions in November and December 2020 - information from North Yorkshire County Council - easy read version
- Inclusion North has a comprehensive easy read guide about keeping safe from coronavirus. It is updated regularly. For the latest version please visit: http://www.inclusionnorth.org/coronavirus
- The National Autistic Society has information for autistic people and their families here
- Learning Disability England: Keeping informed and in touch during Coronavirus: here
- MENCAP Easy Read Guide: here
- SignHealth – British Sign Language (BSL) translations of Public Health England information: here
- Carers UK: Coronavirus guidance for carers: here
- Resources for children and young people with SEND, their parents and carers: here
- Friends, Families and Travellers - information for traveller communities including audio version
- Travellers Times - information for traveller communities including video versions
- RNIB Essential supermarket information and updates
- Community First Yorkshire - community and voluntary sector advice and guidance
- Why are people wearing masks? - Easy read
- Learning Disability England - Do not resuscitate - a guide for understanding your rights and challenging decisions - Easy Read
- Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys (TEWV) NHS Foundation Trust has a great list of Easy Read information here
- HealthWatch North Yorkshire: links to Coronavirus advice from different organisations and information in a variety of formats here
- Keep Safe.co.uk - the team behind PhotoSymbols (www.photosymbols.com) has developed a range of easy read and audio information including a series of helpful Easy Read posters on different COVID-19 topics. These are available for free on their Keep Safe website: https://www.keepsafe.org.uk/posters
- They have also produced an Easy Read overview of tiers 1 - 4
- Easy Read guide to Changes to the Care Act: here
NHS and other health information
- Getting NHS help when you need it during the coronavirus outbreak - Easy Read
- Healthwatch - How to make heath appointments on your computer or phone better - Easy Read
- NHS Guide to having your flu vaccination (jab) during the coronavirus pandemic - Easy Read
- Easy read leaflet about swabbing, developed by the NHS Leeds Teaching Trusts.
- Information about the Coronavirus vaccine - Mencap Easy Read
- Help for people with a learning disability and/or autism to use NHS 111: here
Information about going into hospital
- Down Syndrome Research Foundation - supporting someone with a disability to go to hospital: here
- COVID-19 hospital summary - developed with Harrogate and District Foundation Trust's Emergency Department so key information can be handed over on arrival in hospital. Can be pre-filled by providers and then updated with contemporary detail should attendance at emergency departments be required.
- Hospital Passport templates for Harrogate and York/Scarborough Hospitals.
- Coronavirus: Getting better in hospital - Easy Read
- What you need to know about leaving hospital - Easy Read leaflet
- When you leave hospital to go home - Easy Read leaflet
- Leaving hospital to go to a care home - Easy Read leaflet
Tips on staying safe and healthy at home
- Down Syndrome Association Easy Read information on exercise, cooking tips and activity videos: here
- An Easy Read Guide to Anxiety from the Mental Health Foundation: here
- Information on social distancing and staying connected: here
- Blind Alive: free audio based exercise sessions including boot camp, meditation and chair yoga here
- North Yorkshire Community Learning Partnership ‘5 Ways to Wellbeing’
- North Yorkshire Learning Disability Partnership Board Human Rights Activity Packs
- KeyRing Self Advocacy Service Christmas activity packs
Information about national restrictions during November and December 2020:
Information about social distancing and keeping yourself safe:
- What you need to do (Arabic)
- What should I do to prevent catching and spreading the virus? (English and Arabic)
- Government information - Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable (in a number of community languages)
- Hospital discharge leaflets - a number of community language translations included
- What to do when someone dies during the COVID-19 pandemic - community language translations
A range of key COVID-19 documents translated into many community languages are available at the Migrant Information Hub website.