Last updated: 19 November 2020
North Yorkshire County Council has developed a range of resources about managing the COVID-19 pandemic in our county. These can be found on the North Yorkshire County Council website
North Yorkshire County Council have worked with partners to develop a communications pack to support people who may be at more risk of COVID infection. The pack has been created in a number of different formats, including Easy Read and community languages.
In addition, many organisations across the UK have developed helpful and accessible information about COVID-19, using Easy Read, pictorial and other accessible formats. Information in a number of community languages is also available.
This page has been created to bring together some of the most useful and up to date information in one place. It will be updated regularly as part of North Yorkshire County Council’s response to the pandemic, to support providers and funded services to have the best available information and you are recommended to check it on a regular basis.
Services are encouraged to use and share these resources with people you support to ensure that they have the most up to date information in a format that they understand and which meets their needs.
UK Government information
- Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable (includes Easy Read and community language translations): here
- Leaflet on what to do to help stop the spread of coronavirus, including information on symptoms and government support (includes Easy Read, community languages and BSL video): here
- Coronavirus leaflet - Easy Read version
- Our plan to rebuild - The Government's plan to get back to normal - Easy Read
- Stay at home guidance for households with possible coronavirus (COVID-19) infection - Easy Read
- Letter to shielded patients - 22 June 2020: Easy Read and a number of community languages
Public Health England information
- Advice on Staying at Home
- Keeping away from other people: new rules to follow from 23 March
- Guidance on protecting people most likely to get very poorly from coronavirus (shielding).
- Guidance on supporting children and young people's mental health and wellbeing
- National restrictions in November and December 2020 - easy read version
- Inclusion North has a comprehensive easy read guide about keeping safe from coronavirus. It is updated regularly. For the latest version please visit: http://www.inclusionnorth.org/coronavirus
- The National Autistic Society has information for autistic people and their families here
- Learning Disability England: Keeping informed and in touch during Coronavirus: here
- MENCAP Easy Read Guide: here
- SignHealth – British Sign Language (BSL) translations of Public Health England information: here
- Carers UK: Coronavirus guidance for carers: here
- Resources for parents and carers of children and young people with SEND and children and young people: here
- Friends, Families and Travellers - information for traveller communities including audio version
- Travellers Times - information for traveller communities including video versions
- RNIB Essential supermarket information and updates
- Community First Yorkshire - community and voluntary sector advice and guidance
- Why are people wearing masks? - Easy read
- Do not resuscitate - a guide for understanding your rights and challenging decisions - Easy Read
- Coronavirus: Getting better in hospital - Easy Read
PhotoSymbols has made Easy Read posters on different COVID-19 topics.
- How to stay safe
- Coronavirus and health issues
- What if you get ill?
- Staying at home
- Please don’t spread it
- You must stay at home
Changes to the Care Act
- Easy Read guide to Changes to the Care Act: here
NHS and other health information
- Help for people with a learning disability and/or autism to use NHS 111: here
- HealthWatch North Yorkshire have a list of links to Coronavirus advice and updates from a range of organisations, plus information in a variety of formats here
- Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys (TEWV) NHS Foundation Trust has a great list of Easy Read information here
- Useful information from the Down Syndrome Research Foundation on supporting someone with a disability to go to hospital: here
- COVID-19 hospital summary - This document has been developed with Harrogate and District Foundation Trust's Emergency Department to ensure that key information can be handed over on someone's arrival in hospital. Much of the information can be pre-filled by providers in case they are needed and then updated with contemporary detail should attendance at emergency departments be required. It is also important to ensure that Hospital Passports are in place and up to date (see below)
- Hospital Passport templates for Harrogate and York/Scarborough Hospitals. A Hospital Passport belongs to a person not the hospital so can be used at any hospital.
- Easy read leaflet about swabbing, developed by the NHS Leeds Teaching Trusts. This may be useful to help in discussions with clients to prepare when it is thought that hospital treatment is likely to be needed.
- What you need to know about leaving hospital - Easy Read leaflet
- When you leave hospital to go home - Easy Read leaflet
- Leaving hospital to go to a care home - Easy Read leaflet
- Getting NHS help when you need it during the coronavirus outbreak - Easy Read
- Healthwatch - How to make heath appointments on your computer or phone better - Easy Read
- Guide to having your flu vaccination (jab) during the coronavirus pandemic - Easy Read
Tips on staying safe and healthy at home
- Down Syndrome Association Easy Read information on exercise, cooking tips and activity videos: here
- Easy read NHS poster on washing your hands: here
- An Easy Read Guide to Anxiety from the Mental Health Foundation: here
- Information on social distancing and staying connected: here
- Watch the Purple All Stars rap on how to correctly wash your hands here
- Free audio based exercise sessions including boot camp, meditation and chair yoga here
- Link to online resources structured around the 5 ways to wellbeing here
Information about national restrictions during November and December 2020:
Information about social distancing and keeping yourself safe is included below:
- What you need to do (Arabic)
- What should I do to prevent catching and spreading the virus? (English and Arabic)
- Government information - Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable (in a number of community languages)
- Hospital discharge leaflets - a number of community language translations included
- What to do when someone dies during the COVID-19 pandemic - a number of community language translation included
A range of key COVID-19 documents translated into many community languages are available at the Migrant Information Hub website.